Re: Long - Endothemy vs. Ectothermy

--Original Message-- From: Allan Edels <Edels@email.msn.com>Date: 15 October
1998 06:05

>based on recent integument findings, it
>certainly seems to me that several later forms were feathered.  This would
>indicate the trend in some of the dinosauria towards 'warm-bloodedness' -
>perhaps towards bird-like levels.

As the only feathers yet found postdate the first bird, perhaps "from bird-
. . ." would be just as appropriate if not more so than "towards bird- . .
." - certainly more parsimonious.

>I like the idea that feathers started as a unique way of ridding
>the dinosaurian body of nitrogen by-products.

Certain waste products do turn up in the hair, but that is not hair's
primary raisin d'etre.  Also, when an animal wants to rid itself of
something, it wants to get rid of it, not weave great swathes of it into a
complicated structure and then carry it around for months on end.

It is true that goldfish I have known used to extrude long strands of
something and carry it around with them, but death followed shortly
afterwards.

JJ