Re: [Re: [Re: DOWNY STEGOSAURS

two things...
can we edit these replys so they aren't all spaces???????????

> > First of all, ectotherms additionally need to have their temperatures
> > regulated to grow at endothermic rates (which is why 'gator farms spend so
> > much money on keeping them warm).
> An ectotherm does regulate it's own temperature and does not require it being
> regulated for it.
>
> As for alligator farms, I'd like to know what areas of the country (world) you
> are talking about. Many (if not all) of the gator farms down south have
> outdoor enclosures.
>
> Not to mention the fact that alligators usually keep their temperatures above
> that of their surounding as it is, so the places you are talking about must be
> up north somewhere, where they are already out of their natural environment.
> Yeah, you'd think so, but since many large reptiles have body temperatures
> anywhere from 10-60 degrees warmer than there environments, the reduction in
> temperature isn't as severe as once thought.
>
> And then there is the really strange _Palmatogecko rangei_ of the Namib
> desert. Small little geckos that are only active when the desert temperature
> reaches 45 degrees Farenheight.

and the NOVA website has a very nice article on crocdilians that
discusses that alligators can keep alive while frozen in ice as long as
they can breathe in their NATURAL ENVIRONMENT........
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/crocs/  basic article you want is
OUTLASTING THE DINOSAURS

 (Dr. James Perran) Ross: <snip>
There is another element. Crocodiles, for all their ability to get their
body temperature up when they have sunlight, do very well at low body
temperature in the darkness. All their systems continue to work
adequately well. <snip>
It depends a great deal on the species, but the three species that occur
in temperate zones -- the American alligator, the Chinese alligator and
the broad-snouted caiman -- can tolerate occasional frost or freezing.
There are records of alligators surviving beneath ice as long as they
can continue to breathe. Of course, alligators normally become quiescent
in cold weather anyway. They dig deep burrows into the banks of rivers
and lakes and retire to them. They don't hibernate in the strict sense,
because they don't reduce their metabolism down close to zero. But
they're able to tolerate low temperature quite well.

>> Oh and estimates for _Architeuthis dux_, the giant squid are basing this
>> creature as reaching a size of 30ft in only 6 months.

> As for a citation on that one, it was National Geographic's: Search for
> Architeuthis.

the largest one ever captured alive was caught 2 weeks ago off Bodega
Bay here in N Califonria.  It was 25 lbs-just under 4 feet......
long way to go to 30 feet
-Betty