Re: Early Ceratopian

In a message dated 10/15/98 8:35:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
th81@umail.umd.edu writes:

>  _Zuniceratops_ IS, however, the oldest known *horned* ceratopsian (or more
>  specifically, the oldest known brow-horned ceratopsian).  It is from the
>  Turonian (early Late Cretaceous) age Moreno Hill Formation of New Mexico.
>  Here is the reference:
>
>  Wolfe, D.G. & J.I. Kirkland.  1998.  _Zuniceratops christopheri_ n. gen. &
>  n. sp., a ceratopsian dinosaur from the Moreno Hill Formation (Cretaceous,
>  Turonian) of west-central New Mexico.  pp. 303-317. IN Lucas, S.G.,
>  Kirkland, J.I. & Estep, J.W. (eds.), Lower and Middle Cretaceous
Terrestrial
>  Ecosystems.  New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science Bulletin 14.
>
>  The Lower & Mid-K volume was just released at SVP, and the subsequent Lower
>  & Mid-K conference.

Ah but there IS evidence of what would appear to be the oldest ceratopsian in
North America if not the world and this might be what he is asking about.

In the same volume see a paper by Chinnery, Lipka, Kirkland, Parrish and
Brett-Surman whereby two teeth from the Aptian Arundel Clay (Early-Mid aptian)
are described that posess peatures diagnosable to Neoceratopsia. While this
genus and species are as yet indeterminate, the fact that it is an east coast
occurrence of a probable certatopsian and the OLDEST  argues strongly for a
Eurasian migration through eastern N. America then on to the Western Interior.

Zuniceratops is likely the oldest named ceratopsian however but it and the
material from the Wayan Fm described in Weishampel and Chinnery are still
younger than our arundel critter.

Cheers,

Thomas R. Lipka
Paleontological/Geological Studies