Re: New ref (Mosasaur bite marks)

<< Actual tooth marks of Mosasaurs are actual punctures through the shell
 itself. They occur in lines across both the body chamber and the
 phragmacone. The margin of the puncture is crushed with radiating cracks
 in the shell. Ones I have found are in agreement with those described by
 Kauffman and Kesling (1960)in fitting the dentition of Clidastes very
 well. >>

  Correct me if I'm wrong, I do not have the Kauffman and Kesling paper here,
but I recall them offering something like the blunt-headed Platecarpus
brachycephalus or Prognathodon as the mosasaurian attacker. The ammonite in
question comes from rather high in the Pierre Shale (Virgin Creek?),
precluding, I think, Clidastes or Platecarpus. Plioplatecarpus maybe?  Dan
Varner.