ARCHAEORNITHOMIMUS

Originally, I had read that this Chinese dinosaur may have been the oldest
ornithomimid or ostrich mimic dinosaur.  But recently an acquaintance of
mine said that the small 4th finger on the manus has brought this into
question.  I believe that the 3rd digit is the shorter one (but am not
certain).  My question is this: if 5 or 4 digits is generally a more
primitive state, why would the presence of a shorter (& then, therefore
PERHAPS atrophied) digit in an earlier
Specimen of potential ornithomimid disqualify it from being an an ostrich
mimic?  Am I missing something here or is the specimen too incomplete to
tell?

Thanks,
Dwight