Re: Nomenclature- It is to laugh

On Sat, 17 Oct 1998, Betty Cunningham wrote:

> This is what I got out of DinoGeorge's explanation-
[...]

> Thus ALL bits and pieces of bone from the family Ceratopidae are
> ceratopid and bits and pieces of similar-to-Ceratopidae bones are
> ceratopian (which would include specimens which were similar but as yet
> unnamed or unidentified)

There are plenty of named and identified ceratopsians/ceratopians that are
not ceratopsids/ceratopids. _Psittacosaurus_, _Microceratops_,
_Leptoceratops_, _Protoceratops_, _Bagaceratops_, _Montanoceratops_,
_Zuniceratops_, etc., etc. Ceratopsia/Ceratopia is a much more inclusive
clade than Ceratopsidae/Ceratopidae. Essentially, Ceratopsia/pia are the
"neck-frilled dinosaurs" and among those Ceratopsidae/pidae are the large,
quadrupedal, brow-horned, nose-horned ceratopsians/pians (to simplify
things only slightly).

See http://www.gl.umbc.edu/~tkeese1/dinosaur/taxa/ceratops.htm
(It hasn't been updated since the description of _Zuniceratops_, but the
rest is pretty up-to-date.)

--T. Mike Keesey                                   <tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu>
DINOSAUR WEB PAGES -- http://www.gl.umbc.edu/~tkeese1/dinosaur/index.htm