Re: feathers as N2 excretors

Tom, et al:

    First off, you are obviously assuming that I (and others) suggested that
feathers were evolved to remove certain toxins from the body, and no other
process was needed for that toxin to be removed.  Au contraire, I feel that
feathers were an additional means to remove said toxins, perhaps similar to
the way that some minor toxins are _sweated_ out of mammals, even though
mammals can excrete the same toxins (and more) via urea and feces.  (Of
course, let us not forget regurgitation[vomiting to the uninformed]).  In
addition, feathers' use as insulation, and as cooling mechanisms should not
be overlooked, used in conjunction with the excretion of toxins.

    As to your suggestion of pigeon/statue relationships being explained by
your
"Scatopteryx (TM) theory" has one particular flaw - where are the statues?
Are you suggesting that the larger dinosaurs were so slow moving that you
might mistake them for statues???   :-))

    An aside concerning traces of chemicals, toxins, etc. in hair:  Not only
can arsenic be found in hair samples, but so can several other heavy metals,
and several drugs, such as cocaine, and marijuana.  A company was marketing
a test for pot and cocaine - you needed to send them about 2 inch by .5 inch
clump of hair for testing.  (Parents of teenagers were the obvious target
for their ads).  They claimed 92 percent accuracy [I think it was later
determined to have 78 percent accuracy - which may be why you don't hear of
them anymore].

        Allan Edels