Re: Silurian Bird (joke? please?)

In a message dated 10/22/98 10:05:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
th81@umail.umd.edu writes:

>  The author (can't remember the name: maybe Okamura?) is a noted...
>  how shall we put this... quack in the in field of paleo.  He has self-
published
>  volumes of new "taxa" that he finds, often only in thin sections.  His most
>  famous discoveries are the "mini-fossils": supposed microscopic
>  representatives of other groups, including mini-birds, mini-fish,
>  mini-dinosaurs, even mini-dragons and mini-princesses!!
<SNIP>
>  He received the Ig Nobel prize a year or two ago, if I'm not mistaken.

See:  http://walk.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert/ignobel/96/
"The 1996 Ig Nobel Prize Ceremony"

"The Sixth First Annual Ig Nobel Prize Ceremony was held on Thursday
evening, October 3, 1996 (by the Gregorian calendar), at Harvard's Sanders
Theater. Prizes were handed out by genuine Nobel Laureates Dudley
Herschbach, William Lipscomb and others. A good-natured spoof of science
and the Nobel Prizes, the ceremony honors people whose achievements
'cannot or should not be reproduced.' "
(SNIP of other winners)

"BIODIVERSITY"

"Chonosuke Okamura of the Okamura Fossil Laboratory in Nagoya, Japan,
for discovering the fossils of dinosaurs, horses, dragons, princesses, and
more
 than 1000 other extinct 'mini-species,' each of which is less than 1/100 of
an
inch in length. [For details see the series 'Reports of the Okamura Fossil
Laboratory,' published by the Okamura Fossil Laboratory in Nagoya, Japan
during the 1970's and 1980's.] "

Mary
mkirkaldy@aol.com