Re: Septic teeth

TWILLIAMS@canr1.cag.uconn.edu wrote:

> Somebody mentioned that carnivorous theropods (e.g. _Neovenator_) may
> have harbored infectious bacteria in the grooves (or "pits") of their
> teeth.  I think this has been reported for certain modern reptiles
> (like varanids), but I'm not sure.

The Komodo Dragon has a very nasty, bacteria filled mouth.  Of course, in
its climate, infection is a risk at any rate, but apparently it is almost
assured (and quite rapidly, I'm told) if an animal should happen to be
bitten by one.  But then, when you think about it, Humans have pretty
dirty mouths also (no joke intended) and our bites often require
immediate medical attention to stave off infection, so such an attribute
is not neccesarily reptilian.

Regards....

--
John M. Dollan
Montana State University - Northern

"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the
universe..."
  --Carl Sagan