Re: galloping sauropods?

Scott A Hartman wrote:

> Being graviportal (animals with straight, column-like limbs) doesn't mean
> that you can't run, after all, you have a graviportal limb design.  But it
> does mean that the shock from
> impact with the ground is tanmitted right up the limb into the hip socket.
> Since bone doesn't compress (much), and there isn't enough cartilage to
> absorb the shock, it's quite tramatic on your body.

Cartilage does absorb some shock but its primary purpose is to allow the joint
to go through its range of motion with ease and lack of discomfort.  Bone on
bone is not comfortable or efficient.  Joint fluid acts as a hydraulic
dampener .  Fluid does not compress in this situation.  Finally, the ligaments
or joint capsule and surrounding musculature absorbs energy as well.

So the energy of impact would be dampened by the entire joint and surrounding
tissues.  If there are any structures above the joint, I think some of the
energy would be transmitted there as well.  Is this correct physics buffs and
locomotion experts???

As a matter of conjecture, my opinion is they moved much like elephants, but
we don't know this.  How fast could they run?  Fast enough to evolve
successfully over millions of years.

Michael Teuton