DINOSAURIAN GLUTEUS MAXIMUS (WAS Re: galloping sauropods?)

archosaur@usa.net wrote:

> Did deinosaurs even have a glutius maximus? I thought that in reptiles, the >
> big leg retractor muscle was the caudofemoralis.

In birds, the muscle called the _iliotibialis_ (also sometimes called
the _gluteus maximus_) is the broad, thin muscle which lies over most of
the thigh musculature. It is responsible for flexing the hip and
extending the knee and lower leg. The _caudofemoralis_ flexes the thigh
and moves the tail laterally.

Since bird and dinosaur musculature was likely similar, it's probably a
fair assumption that, yes, dinosaurs did indeed have _gluteus maximus_
muscles. Of course, don't confuse these with the form of those found on
the rearward anatomy of humans. ;-)

Brian (franczak@ntplx.net)
http://www.paleolife-art.com