Re: Tonight show Zuniceratops

Allan Edels wrote:

> I saw the segment as well.  Was the drawing of _Zuniceratops_? -
> Or some other ceratopsian being passed off as _Zuni_?

_Zuniceratops_ is not known from a lot of material, unfortunately, and
Greg Wenzel's illustration is, admittedly, somewhat speculative. It
should be known, however, that Greg based his illustration on a
description of the type specimen supplied by Jim Kirkland. Given the
rather sketchy nature of the _Zuniceratops_ material, Greg did, in fact,
balk at painting it, but faced with the choice of either doing it
himself or the possibility of a less-informed person supplying the
illustration, he reluctantly took the job. If and when more of the skull
(particularly the squamosal) of _Zuniceratops_ is found, our
understanding the animal will change, as will our concept of its life
appearance.

> The brachiasaur was somewhat Charles Knight-ish, and the Iguanodon was
> slightly more modern.

Sorry to have to be contrary, Allan, but neither of these statements
holds water. The "brachiosaur" was a bloated caricature that resembled
nothing so much as a balloon from the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade;
there was no similarity in either form or style to any work by Charles
Knight. And as for the "Iguanodon" appearing "slightly more modern",
even with the qualifier "slightly" I fail to see how you can say this,
as it was depicted standing upright in the traditional (physically
impossible) bent-tail Burian pose, a pose that went the way of the
dinosaurs (pun intended) quite a number of years ago.

Brian (franczak@ntplx.net)
http://www.paleolife-art.com