RE: New taxa from the Lower-to-mid K volume

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. [SMTP:th81@umail.umd.edu]
        Sent:   Wednesday, October 28, 1998 10:14 AM
        To:     TWILLIAMS@canr1.cag.uconn.edu
        Cc:     dinosaur@usc.edu
        Subject:        Re: New taxa from the Lower-to-mid K volume

        Can anyone say _Ultrasaurus_?  We can, but not for the Morrison
brachiosaur,
        not even as a junior synonym.  Because Kim thought that name was
valid
        (after all, everyone was using it) he referred some undiagnostic
Korean
        material to this genus.  Unfortunately, that name was a nomen nudum
prior to
        that, so the Korean specimen became the true "_Ultrasaurus_".  Now
we can't
        use that name for the big Morrison form, even as a junior synonym to
        _Brachiosaurus_.

        This is the most famous example of this in dinosaur paleontology.

        Correct.

        Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
        College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661

        Rather off to a tangent (where I tend to dwell), what IS the
estimated size of the Morrison brachiosaur?

        Dwight