RE: Review of T. REX -- BACK TO THE CRETACEOUS

Dwight Stewart writes;

>        "anti science".  I now no longer bother.  It's just too stressful
>attempting to pry a closed mind open.  So, I do my job, which does not
>involve public relations in any way and I take public perceptions about
>science & scientists with a grain of sodium chloride the size of a
>Brachiosaurus.

A few thoughts...

Even the most closed mind can be affected by a reasonable discussion.  I have
had a few run-ins with anti-science/creationist types.  While those talks have
not been enjoyable, and I haven't "converted" anyone, I have noticed a few
trends.  One of them is that some of my observations/comments seem to make
sense to them, rattling their whole phyche.  While they didn't back off from
their position, the memory of what was said will remain with them.

A part of the problem is that the anti-science people are rigidly conservative.
 To see scientists in a new light they would have to move away from their
political position and accept another point of view; accepting scientists would
force them to accept other "unwanted" people.  Since our arguments are based on
documentable observations and other facts, what we say makes the most sense and
is very compelling; we can defend our position in a way that no one else can.
Because of this, we become scapegoats; we are a symbol of all that seems rotten
in their world.  If they destroy us, then they have won a victory for the "good
guys."  This is why it is so depressing to be cornered by one of them.

Our best bet is to stay visible and vocal.  The anti-science leaders can say
anything they want, and any lies will be unchallenged if we hide in our
labrotories and offices.  Treat them as you would treat a schoolyard bully:
Stand up to them.  If we are not intimidated into silence, then we can continue
talking about what we have learned.  It is ultimately a question of exposure;
what is seen is hard to ignore.  Don't let their attacks become depressing and
never take their comments personally.  Also, don't insult them; they have as
much brainpower as the rest of us.  Find that balance and there is nothing to
fear.

Shalom,

Rob Meyerson

***