RE: Review of T. REX -- BACK TO THE CRETACEOUS

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   rjmeyer@ix.netcom.com [SMTP:rjmeyer@ix.netcom.com]
        Sent:   Friday, October 30, 1998 11:37 AM
        To:     dinosaur@usc.edu
        Subject:        RE: Review of T. REX -- BACK TO THE CRETACEOUS

        A few thoughts...

        Even the most closed mind can be affected by a reasonable
discussion.  I have had a few run-ins with anti-science/creationist types.
While those talks have not been enjoyable, and I haven't "converted" anyone,
I have noticed a few trends.  One of them is that some of my
observations/comments seem to make sense to them, rattling their whole
phyche.  While they didn't back off from their position, the memory of what
was said will remain with them.

        A part of the problem is that the anti-science people are rigidly
conservative.  To see scientists in a new light they would have to move away
from their political position and accept another point of view; accepting
scientists would force them to accept other "unwanted" people.  Since our
arguments are based on documentable observations and other facts, what we
say makes the most sense and is very compelling; we can defend our position
in a way that no one else can.  Because of this, we become scapegoats; we
are a symbol of all that seems rotten in their world.  If they destroy us,
then they have won a victory for the "good guys."  This is why it is so
depressing to be cornered by one of them.

        Our best bet is to stay visible and vocal.  The anti-science leaders
can say anything they want, and any lies will be unchallenged if we hide in
our labrotories and offices.  Treat them as you would treat a schoolyard
bully: Stand up to them.  If we are not intimidated into silence, then we
can continue talking about what we have learned.  It is ultimately a
question of exposure; what is seen is hard to ignore.  Don't let their
attacks become depressing and never take their comments personally.  Also,
don't insult them; they have as much brainpower as the rest of us.  Find
that balance and there is nothing to fear.

        Shalom,

        Rob Meyerson

        ***
        "Listen to the music, not the words."
                      - Ambassador Kosh

        I disagree about "brain power", but more often I think it's a matter
of mental health.  :-)  I don't really care what they think,
        Honestly.  I don't ask my dog's opinion about Quantum Physics,
either.

        On a more dinosaurian thread, does anyone have information regarding
the teeth of Edmontosaurus?  I read a little blurb online somewhere (can't
relocate the surce) stating that they had 60 rows of teeth, with (perhaps)
1,000 individual teeth.

        Dwight