Re: What is Megaptor?

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, megaraptor wrote:

> Is Megaraptor a dromeosaurid or a totally know genera of dinosaur?

It may be a dromaeosaurid, or possibly some other kind of paravian (like
maybe a basal bird). I'd heard a theory that it might be the adult form of
the flightless avialan _Unenlagia_, but that's only a possibility.
(There's no overlapping material between the two, and they come from the
same site). Apart from that, I don't think anything new's been published
on this rather scrappy (if impressive) fossil.

--T. Mike Keesey                                    <tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu>
WORLDS                                  <http://www.gl.umbc.edu/~tkeese1>
THE DINOSAURICON                               <http://dinosaur.umbc.edu>