Gastroliths

        Can anyone tell me what the accepted theory is about sauropods and
their possible use of stones to digest? Today in Evolution of the
Vertebrates, we learned in lecture that many of these stones are found in
the Morrison Fm in clay or limey deposits. There was some controversy on
how they could come to rest in a low turbulence depositional environment.
The one theory mentioned was vomiting from the sauropods as they swam. Is
this for real?
        I really can't see a group of sauropods swimming along and
vomiting all day! Somebody, please tell me a more plausible explanation
for the stones. Oh, also mentioned was the fact that only 2 sauropods to
date had been found with stones inside their body cavities as they were
discovered. TIA!
Chad Laibly
University of Iowa
Geology/Museum Studies