Re: [Re: Suchomimus prey?]

Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> wrote:

> Personally, I suspect that spinosaurids' thumb claws were for defense
> rather than gathering prey. Modern crocs often snap each others upper
> or lower jaws completely off...

Well, I wouldn't say that they often do, but there are individuals who have
lost all of their upper and/or lower jaws from such attacks (and I'm talking
about Niles which do have robust snouts, I can just imagine the kind of damage
that could happen to a Sucho's snout).

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

*Snip*

Perhaps the
> vertebral sails also helped to bluff other animals (cats arch their
> backs to make themselves look bigger, frilled dragons use their
> neck frills for bluff alone).

This I've wondered about myself. What would these sails be used for? I know
that the going theory has them as radiators, but they are so bulky. Plus in
comparison with extant animals like Hydrosaurs and Sailfin chameleons, we find
that it's more of a sexual dimorphic trait.

Perhaps Spinosaurids and Ouranosaurids (Amargasaurs and the rest of the Sail
backed lot) used their sails for sexual purposes instead of just radiation.

Male _Chameleo quadricornis_ attract females with their large sail backs, I
don't see any reason why Suchomimus wouldn't either (that must have made for
an impressive sight on a river bank in the morning)

Admittedly not a very new speculation, but a reasonable one (when comparing
that is)

Course we should be able to see some difference in sail height within species
right? Do we even have enough skeletons to compare yet?

Knowing nature, it's probably choice D, all of the above.

Archosaur J

Jurassosaurus's Reptipage: A page devoted to the study of the reptilia

http://members.tripod.com/~jurassosauridae/index.html