        From:   Kendall Clements [SMTP:k.clements@auckland.ac.nz]
        Sent:   Wednesday, April 07, 1999 7:02 PM
        To:     dinosaur@usc.edu
        Subject:        Dinosaur CD-ROMs

        I teach a second year undergraduate paper on animal structure and
        function. As part of this block I do five lectures on dinosaurs and
one
        lecture on pterosaurs. Most of these lectures are on functional
anatomy
        and biomechanics. I run a lab where we use the BMNH models to
estimate
        dinosaur weight using the water displacement method described in R.
        McNeill Alexander's book. The weight estimates are then evaluated in

        terms of (a) the quality of the reconstructions, and (b) anatomical
        features of the dinosaurs that may affect mean body mass. The
students
        evaluate the quality of the models with reference to books and a
couple
        of CD-ROMs that are available in the lab. I have Greg Paul's review
of
        the book, and I know that many of the BMNH models are dodgy - that's

        part of the exercise!

        Thanks

        Kendall Clements

        Kendall Clements