Re: Um...Pointless stuff

Rushing in where angels fear to tread is *Thescelosaurus*:

On Thu, 08 Apr 1999 10:27:36 PDT "GOBI 2010" <gobi2010@hotmail.com>
writes:
[snip]
>Allrrrrighty, enough of my goofing off durring spring break...
>and back to dinosaurs...
>(more questions?...RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!)
>Q#1)
>What does _Alioramus remotus_ look like? I mean the skeleton,that
>is...or is all we have the skull?

>From my copy of Glut's 1997 encyclopedia, it says besides the skull all
that is known of *Alioramus* are three metatarsi.  My guess is that it
probably looked a lot like other tyrannosaurids.

>Q#2) What does the skeleton of Eustreptoreptospondylus look like
>(Sorry about the spelling, I'm going from memmory for that name).

In "Predatory Dinosaurs of the World" there is a skeletal restoration of
*Eustreptospondylus* on page 287.  The skeleton is considered to belong
to an immature individual, but I'm not sure what difference that would
make for drawing in the case of *Eustreptospondylus", since I don't think
adult material is known.

>Q#3) Is there any differences between the sexes (sexual dimorphism,
>isn't that the word?) that's been observed in Alioramus or other
>meat-eating dinosaurs of simmilar size?

Not in *Alioramus*, because there's not enough material to analyze the
population.  Among large theropods we have the same problem; there's just
not enough material to be sure.  Also, one worker's females and males are
often another worker's different species.  There has been some
consideration that the size and position of the first chevron may be a
sexual indicator (those with short 1st chevron between 1st and 2nd tail
vertebrae may be female [more space for laying eggs], and those with long
1st chevron in front of the 1st tail vertebra may be male), but you would
need articulated skeletons to be sure.  My copy of *The Complete
Dinosaur* mentions this in Scott Sampson's "Dinosaur Combat and
Courtship" chapter, page 390.

>Q#4) If I dropped my copy of _The Dinosauria_ (sofcover) on my foot,
>could it theoreticly break my toe?

Theoretically yes, but I'm not going to test this theory on myself!

>Q#5)Anyone know a quick way of drawing scales on a dinosaur without
>drawing tiny tiny circles over and over and over again until your hand
>cramps up and you can't do your homework because you spent the hour
>drawing dinosaurs because you thought it'd be more fun? :)

Well, you can always fudge it, and draw them as if they're at a distance
so scales can't be distinguished, but that's probably not what you had in
mind.  If you had something with the texture you wanted, you could put it
under your drawing and then use your pencil (or whatever) like you're
doing a rubbing.  I've always made tiny spots in this situation, but that
too is labor-intensive.

>Q#6) Can anyone reccomend any drawing books to help me get better at
>drawing dinosaurs?

A good way to learn is to take good skeletal restorations and take
measurements from them in order to get the proportions right.  I don't
know if there are any drawing books out there about dinosaurs that are
really good for accuracy and don't have their drawings composed of the
ovals and circles and triangles that you erase as you progress. (I'm
sorry, I hate that method with a passion.  I used to press hard with my
pencil, and that makes the guide lines permanent)
Hope this helps-*Thescelosaurus*

>Thanks in advance,
>

>Jessica Wagar
>Amateur Paleontologist/Paleoartist
>Michigan,USA
>
>"My room  is full of dinosaurs, as far as I can see,
>There's spinosaurs, and tarbosaurs,as pretty as can be.
>There's duck-bills, croc-jaws, and other fearsome freaks,
>Some are covered in scales, feathers or have beaks.
>My room is full of dinosaurs, just as stuffed as can be--
>there's only one problem...there's no room left for me!"
>Poem by ME!(j. wagar)

Get secure free e-mail that you don't need Web access to use
from Juno, the world's second largest online service.
Download your free software at http://www.juno.com/getit.b.html.