Re: VERY DIVERSE ENANTIORNITHINES

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999 darren.naish@port.ac.uk wrote:

> Little thread going about enantiornithine birds. Nick Pharris, our
> favourist linguist, wrote...
>
> > Careful.  There was a time not long ago when almost any Mesozoic
> > bird might be referred to as an "enantiornithine".  More recently,
> > the term has been restricted to a single, natural group of early
> > birds, a branch of the Ornithurae ["bird tails", since in members of
> > this group, which includes modern birds, the tail vertebrae are
> > fused into a stump].
>
> Whoops Nick, enantiornithines are emphatically not ornithurines and
> never have been.

My bad!  I was attempting to supplement my VERY limited knowledge of basal
avialan taxonomy by consulting Dingus and Rowe, who appear to be rather
confused on several points.

They name the following taxa on page 214:

Maniraptora = {Dromaeosauridae + Neornithes}
Avialae = {_Archaeopteryx_ + Neornithes}
Ornithurae = {Alvarezsauridae + Neornithes} [pretty far off-base]
Ornithothoraces = {Enantiornithes + Neornithes}
Carinatae = {Ichthyornithiformes + Neornithes}
Aves = Neornithes

Any (off-list) clarification of what these definitions should be and any
other important nodes and stems I should know about would be greatly
appreciated.

Nick Pharris
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, WA 98447