The last dinosaur book- great pix!

>I also read and reviewed The Last Dinosaur Book. It never quite reached the
>"hurl the book across the room in disgust" stage, but it came close at
>times.
>
>Mitchell has some interesting ideas, and once in a while gets playful
>enough to be interesting.

Dear Jeff and Matt,
For full disclosure, Mitchell's press, and his editor, publish my work.
However, I've never met him and we represent opposite philosophic camps.
No disagreement with you on much of the text. That said, I think by focus
on text you're missing the book's importance: the ILLUSTRATIONS ARE
GREAT, one of the richest and wittiest collections of historic
dinosaur-related cultural images, beautifully printed (how did you like
that cover!) All slick pages, a gorgeous book. Only the U of Chicago
Press has the money and resources to research such a thing. Our
illustrators will find their whole history there. Indeed, our Dinosaur
Culture finds its history there-- in the pix, not the "playful" text.
Best,
George

George J. Leonard, Ph.D.
Professor of Interdisciplinary Humanities
San Francisco State University
530 Humanities Hall
1600 Holloway Avenue
San Francisco, California, 94132