Re: Tyrannosaur species

-----Original Message-----
From: Dinogeorge@aol.com <Dinogeorge@aol.com>
To: th81@umail.umd.edu <th81@umail.umd.edu>; paleo_mont@excite.com
<paleo_mont@excite.com>
Cc: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: 10. april 1999 0:44
Subject: Re: Tyrannosaur species

>In a message dated 4/9/99 4:03:57 PM EST, th81@umail.umd.edu writes:

>There's also a lot of plaster in the skull that needs to be dealt with, or
so
>I've heard.

How much plaster are we talking about here? How much of N. lancensis skull
is a guesswork? If it has been restored properly, at the first glance its
shape is quite different than in T.rex.

Nevertheless, [1] I think the tooth count is wrong for T. rex (N.
>lancensis has too many teeth and so might be a different species of
>Tyrannosaurus), and [2] those dramatic skull growth changes better not be
>>too< dramatic, lest we mistake real phyletic differences for ontogenetic
>changes (how many growth specimens of T. rex, with skulls, do we have,
>anyway?). Should be an interesting study either way.

I think this also raises the question which (one or ones?) of the restored
T. rex skulls is the closest to the real thing?
Statistics is very a very unreliable tool when applied on a very small
sample.

Eternal paleontological questions:Variation of the species? Various growth
stage? Different gender or a different species (genus or even a family)?

Berislav Krzic (Kr?ic)
illustrissimus@usa.net
ILLUSTRISSIMUS PRODUCTIONS
http://illustrissimus.virtualave.net/
DINOSAUR ILLUSTRATED MAGAZINE : UPDATED!
http://illustrissimus.virtualave.net/dimfront.html
BERI'S DINOSAUR WORLD
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/1638/front.html