Re: tooth counts in systematics

chris brochu wrote:

> What I'm sensing in this thread is the view that "if it's polymorphic,
> then it really can't be used."  Neontologists have been dealing with
> polymorphism for decades - in allozymes, scale counts, segment counts,
> color ranges, even morphometrics.  But they *deal* with it - they don't
> just toss it out.  .

        I don't think polymorphic traits need to be thrown out--the
impetus behind this work was to begin accounting for variation in
characters, not to just look for characters can be simply coded as
bionomial states.  But as I work with teeth, I started here, and began
with the stuff that was unambiguous and easy to code first.  A lack of
rigorous testing of the characters before the analyses are run is the
whole point as far as I am concerned.

--
Josh Smith