Re: DISSENT GOOD, CONFORMITY BAD

On the question of whether new techniques give us a more precise and
justifiable way to answer "Are these trees significantly different",

and the related issue of whether any theories within the "theropod theory"
class can be considered to be significantly different, we should perhaps
consider the difference between a representative BAMM tree, and my 2F
notions.

(Of course, I believe we don't have enough info to put quite so much detail
into mine), but the question is very similar to asking:

  Does the structure:

    {Henry VIII was Henry VII's son, and they were both some kind of
descendant of Henry VI}

...differ significantly from the structure:

    {Henry VI was Henry VII's son, and they were both some kind of
descendant of Henry VIII}.

I think it depends on what you consider to be an important difference.

Here's another question:  If the difference is so unimportant, why is the
"general theropod theory tree" only ever been presented in non-2F form?

Also, why do the majority of dinobird trees/cladograms usually concentrate
on the structure *within* the dinobird clade, and not on the more basal
structures way back into the Triassic?

The reason is that people *do* believe the difference is significant.  This
isn't really surprising, since most historians would consider it a major
event if the entire tree of royal descent were to remain the same except
that Henry VII and Henry VIII were shown to have descended in the reverse
order to conventional belief.

And if the major tenets of the conventional views of bird, arcto & mani
descent are true, then I'm a monkey's uncle.

However, I can't help wondering whether this "Is it really different"
business, is just a way for the mainstream to forge a bridge across to 2F!,
just as evolution, in some way seems to seek some dimension through which it
can ride downhill all the way to some relatively inaccessible potential
"well" apparently on the other side of a ridge of hills.  It's like the
Romans building a ramp up to the fortress of Massada, only this time, when
they get there, they will claim no-one had ever been there before!  We
cameramen, porters etc who were actually the first to get there will be
dismissed with "They were right, but for the wrong reasons".

There will always be some trees for which just a single change will
represent a fundamental difference, and no amount of sophistry will ever be
able to change that fact.

JJ

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hall/2099/DinoKabin.html

--Orig. Message -- From: chris brochu <cbrochu@fmppr.fmnh.org>