RE: CLUNICULUS

Darren:

You will probably think I'm kidding.  In fact, I hope I've made a mistake.
 However, assuming the roots are Latin, the closest I can come is "asshole".
 That is, its a combination of two similar Latin words (clunis, culus), both of
which refer to the human posterior.  This sort of redundancy is a pretty common
way of expressing emphasis in IE languages, e.g. "super-duper," "mishmash."
 Thus, not just "butt," but "asshole."  If correct, how did this get by the
ICZN?  Possibly could be construed as a Greek diminutive of some kind attached
to a geographical reference (Cluny?), but I'm just guessing on this.

  --Toby White