Re: LIONS AND TIGERS (AND BEARS... OH MY!)

In a message dated 4/13/99 12:42:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Danvarner@aol.com writes:

<<   I'm not quite sure what you mean by "predominant", but I have heard of a
 Pleistocene wolverine the size of a black bear. Dan Varner. >>

He must be talking about Arctodus, which I don't think was all that
predominant. You're thinking of Megalictis as the black-bear sized wolverine,
which I believe comes from the Lower Miocene (maybe it is Pleistocene-I'm not
sure) of South Dakota (interesting how "black bear-sized" is always used as
the size descriptor for larger-than-normal extinct species of modern
groups...you know, "Castoroides was a beaver the size of a black bear",
"Megaladapis was a a lemur the size of a black bear", and so forth...kind of
like the classic "dinosaur brain/walnut" description. Ok, pointless comment
over)

Sincerely,
Christian Kammerer