Re: MT Dinosaurs...

Kelley, Allan and listmembers:
I apologize for the duplication of information
regarding the first MT  dinosaurs.  I replied to
Kelley's question and then, while going through
the rest of my e-mails, I discovered that Allen
Edels had already supplied the information.
Vickie

--- Allan Edels <Edels@email.msn.com> wrote:
> All:
>
>     Ferdinand Vandiveer Hayden (aka "He Who
> Runs while Picking Up Rocks"
> [his Indian name]) discovered the first 4
> dinosaurs named in the United
> States in 1854, in what is now Montana (the
> Nebraska Territory).   He sent
> them to Dr. Joseph Leidy at the ANSP, who named
> them in 1856.  They are
> _Palaeoscincus_, _Troodon_, _Trachodon_, and
> _Deinodon_ (a.k.a. _Dinodon_).
> The specimens are very fragmentary, mostly just
> a few teeth.  (Note that
> some of them are nomen dubium).
>
> (Original) Reference: Joseph Leidy: "Notice of
> Remains of Extinct Reptiles
> and Fishes, Discovered by D. F. V. Hayden in
> the Bad Lands of the Judith
> River, Nebraska Territory."  Proceedings of the
> Academy of Natural Sciences
> of Philadelphia, Volume 8 [1856], pages 72-73.
>
>       Allan Edels

===
Fossiliferously,
Vickie Clouse clousev@yahoo.com

Dinosaur Research Expeditions:
http://scimath.msun.edu/dinosaurs/dig.html-ssi

Come Join Us!  We Dig Dinosaur Research!