The Complete Dinosaur -Reply

>>> Shuko Funaki <shuko@sa2.so-net.ne.jp> 04/13/99 12:46pm >>>
<<I've been translating "The Complete Dinosaur" (Indiana University Press) into
Japanese with several other translators and I have a question regarding one
passage in Part Three.>>
[snip]
<<  As once remarked by that eminent philosopher Sportin' Life, in an
entirely different context: It ain't necessarily so.  There were many
kinds of big, extinct animals (including reptiles) that were not
dinosaurs at all, and there are all kinds of big living reptiles that
aren't dinosaurs, either.>>

<<I can't understand "by that eminent philosopher Sportin' Life, in an
entirely different context" part.>>

<<1) Does anyone know what this means?

You should be asking musicians, not paleontologists.  Sportin' Life is the name
of a character in George Gershwin's opera, "Porgy and Bess."  He sings a famous
aria called "It Ain't Necessarilly So" which is about the fallacies of the
popular culture of the time (among other things).

  --Toby White