Re: Spinosaur Variation (with new question)

Josh Smith wrote, in yet more replies:

First: Considering that the records at the Egyptian
Geological Survey in Cairo only record three German
expeditions that went to Bahariya (the Oasis, where
the type locality of the formation crops out) and that
only one of them was actually focused entirely on the
Bahariya Formation itself, and considering that most
of the data regarding these German expeditions failed
to survive the 1940s, and considering that there are
no active dinosaur paleontologists in Egypt today and
considering that no one (almost--see forthcoming
posting) has played in Bahariya in 50 years, I don't
really think we should be making claims about the
theropod population density of the paleo western
desert.>

  Okay, my goof. As I said, I'd thought the Baharija
(or Bahariya) was more extensive, and similar finds
across Algeria and Tunisia would corroborrate my
statement, so, appologies.

<I don't think that I was as harsh as granite
gaveling,>

  It was a joke, not meant to imply "judgment",
couldn't think of a better parody that fit at the
time.

<but whatever. Appologies not necessary.>

  Well, I've gone and appologized, so there. :)

<The point that I was making (beating up on, whatever)
was that fossils are only ascribed to spinosaurs right
now and nothing is currently known about Bahariya
anymore, so we don't have any idea about what the
theropod population density of Bahariya is. You
specifically mentioned Egypt, and what I said about
the Bahariya in Egypt is correct. We don't have enough
data to make any comparisons about theropod density
within the Cenomanian of Egypt in comparision to
anywhere.  That is all.>

[snip]

<My point was not an attack at you but a criticism of
the paleotemperature estimates for these areas, which
I think are crap, regardless of what Sereno and
Russell have cited. As for the forests, again, there
are not a lot of data to suggest one sort of major
macrofloral assemblage or another.>

[snip]

<Does that help at all, Jaime?>

  Yes, it does. Thanks for not cracking my head open
with that gavel and all... :) Are there refs out there
that are likely to have the kind of data I need, or to
paraphrase Holtz, am I gonna have to "wait"?

-------

  Speaking of theropod bite actions, and about
spinosaurs snapping their heads sidewise like crocs
(who have laterally broad jaws) and spinosaurs being
relatively weak in that department: Is it more likely
then that the jaws were equated with backward ripping
devices, due to the angle of the premaxillary teeth,
the fit of the lower jaw to the upper in front, and
the radial arrangement of the anterior lower teeth?
This goes out to all, by the way.

  But thanks a lot, Josh, for answering so uninformed
a "not--so--rockhead-ish" of a paleonut.

===
- Greek proverb: "Knowledge is Inherent;
  Stupidity is Learned." -

Jaime A. Headden

Qilong, the we---is temporarily out of service.
Please check back when the phone lines are not busy.