Re: mammals over dinosaurs in continuous sequence

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> All these responses are very interesting, but the question being addressed is
> where in the world is there a K-T boundary sequence with dinosaur fossils
> below the boundary and no dinosaur fossils, only mammals, above it. Whether
> or not there are mammals along with the dinosaurs below the K-T boundary is
> not important.

There is one location, the Medicine Hat Brick and Tile (MHBT) Quarry in
southwestern Saskatchewan, Canada, which yields both Late Cretaceous
dinosaurs and early Paleocene mammals. The sedimentary sequence preserves
a coal seam corresponding to the K/T boundary. A few meters below it is
a fossiliferous horizon (Long Fall locality) containing dinosaur and
mammal (and other) remains. A few meters above it is an horizon (Rav W-1
locality) yielding early Paleocene (Puercan) mammals. These assemblages
were described by Johnston and Fox in 1984 in journal Palaeontographica.
Don't have the exact reference as I am going from memory, but I hope this
helps.

Michel Chartier