Re: [Re: [Re: [cold-blooded dinos (revisited)]]]

Caleb-son of Lewis <terminator2029@usa.net> wrote:
> is  quoted as saying that dinsoaurs were cold-blooded, but
> > > that theropds were "as active as" warm-blooded animals.
>
>    Okay, forgive my bluntness, but, how in Heaven's name is this possible?
>
>                                   Caleb
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Why not, today we see ectotherms with active lives. Look at marlins & mako
sharks. Pretty much all insects, reptile wise we have many very active lizards
(e.g. fence lizards and geckos) and then there are varanids, which are
practically featherless, landbound birds (metabolically speaking).

I'd imagine that large theropods were about as active (possibly a little less
considering their large sizes) as todays lions and crocodiles, spending much
of their time resting and then becoming active during feeding time.

Even dromeosaurs hung around cat and dog size and given the time period they
probably kept active mammal like lifestyles. As far as I know, deinosaurs
didn't get too far below the 6 pound range, so it's not as if we're comparing
them to hamsters (though I admit that this is a rather biased view considering
the likelihood of preservation of any really small deinosaur).

It doesn't look like a contradiction in terms to me.

Archosaur J

Jurassosaurus's Reptipage: A page devoted to the study of the reptilia

http://members.tripod.com/~jurassosauridae/index.html