Re: Leviathans

John V Jackson wrote:

> In reading Chris B's Deinosuchus paper in Nature, I noticed what a fantastic
> specimen that _D_ skull is!  Made me wish I was some kind of model
> maker/seller - I'm sure that if you cast those lifesize in almost any
> material - or even made them out of papier mache, you could get $2,000 -
> $3,000 (+ p&p) for them, and sell loads.  And of course crocs are very
> allegorical, so big companies/lovable captains of industry might snap them
> up.
>
> (Also looked for Chris himself standing behind the skull - couldn't see a
> stocky, pleasant-looking chap with straight, light brown, slightly thinning
> hair.  Actually he wasn't in the picture at all, so we may never know what
> he looks like!)
>
> If that characteristic kinked snout (we're back to _D_ again now) was a
> piscivorous feature - they must have been very big pisces for it to be
> retained in _D_!

one of the big things wrong with the skull is that it's made after a
crocodile, but it's know thought to be more like an alligator. Why? the
skull of the Texas specimen (Phobosuchus) is just known from a
premaxilla (Mainly). But now more skull material and skeletal material
is known. David Schwimmer (Not the one from Friends :>) is studying
Deinosuchus (and others). David believes Deinosuchus was indeed a marine
croc, that was the main large predator on the eastern coast when it
lived. The eastern material is smaller than the type material from
Montana and Texas. A snag in his argument was that the type material was
from the Judith River Formation (and the was thought to be an ankylosaur
due to the large size of the material), thus from the mainland, but this
may be wrong.

Tracy.