Re: Gastroliths (Theropods)

In a message dated 4/20/99 7:27:49 AM EST, th81@umail.umd.edu writes:

<< Gastroliths are minimally a basal archosaur character (crocs got'em, birds
 got'em, so the simplest evolutionary answer is that the most recent common
 ancestor of cros & birds had'em). >>

The beautiful Psittacosaurus specimen from China that a fossil dealer showed
Tracy Ford and me at a local gems and minerals exhibit more than a year ago
has a splendid little pile of gastroliths right inside the ribcage. Lacking
only the distal tail, this was the best Psittacosaurus specimen I'd ever seen
anywhere, and the first one I'd seen that has at least one premaxillary
tooth. Too bad it's gone to a private collector, but Tracy has photos and
videotape of it.