respiratory question

I've been following the string on gills to lungs, and it's quite interesting.
We just started respiratory in my biology class and we got a sheet from my
teacher label "Evolution of Respiratory Systems." It just starts with
sponges, I think, and talks about their lack of a system, then moves up to
annelids and other sorts up to birds and mammals. I thought I might bring in
some of the strings from the list but I'm in a 9th grade biology class and
the string sort of builds from previous posts. I was wondering if someone
could give a brief description of how lungs accually developed that I could
bring in for my class, or, if I understand the string right, there's not a
certain way that we're sure it happened, so maybe something about the
theories. I'll been in some other the other posts to just to show my teacher.
Thanks.

                                                ~Matt