RE: Bird vs. theropod dinosaur tracks/trackways

>I wrote:
>       <SNIP>
>        And theropods had long legs.
>       And that's where I get stuck.  Muscle scars on T.rex femurs
indicate

>       heavy muscle mass.  Perhaps for some reason there was a
split, one
>       group of birds gets the long legs, and another gets the
strong ones.

>       Someone help me out, I'm dying here.  :)
>
>       Jason
>
>       _@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Dwight wrote:

To me, the implied leg
>morphology of the Tyrannosaurus
>       rex looks like a sprinter.
>
>       Dwight

As it does to me, just one element suggesting it was a predator
(grabbing that occational already dead dino if it happened upon
one).
*I'm trying very hard not to get into that controvery*
Ever see a shore bird run?  They don't hop, as most birds do.  They
have one heck of a stride, and they're pretty quick as well.  That
requires a different bone and muscle structure.  I'm no expert on
avian anatomy, heck, I hardly have any actual knowledge of bone
structure, but from observing them, it would seem that the hip socket
is set up different.
I'll try to dig something up (no pun intended), but can someone with
more knowledge shed more light on the differing anatomy of birds?

Jason