Re: "Dinosaurs don't count"

George said:
>In science, the "most important" research is, as you might guess, that which
>leads to an increase in wealth. For example, certain kinds of paleontology
>are relevant to the discovery of oil deposits, so there is considerable
>support for this.
Hey George, lighten up on us industrial types, we have our own problems.
When I started here there were 22 paleontologists here and 25 in
Houston.  Now there are only 4 of us, all in New Orleans.  Even though
our work saves the company millions we are constantly having to justify
our existance and to shake the image of being "stamp collectors". This
is hardly what I would call considerable support.
That said, I also have to say that as a scientist I don't think
importance is determined by economics.  Paleo interests me because I'm
interested in getting the big picture of the past.  As the dominant
Mesozoic land animals dinosaurs are very important.  THeir relationship
with birds, whatever that might turn out to be, makes them an important
link to understanding what's going on today.  I love fossils, the
science is in putting together the story, they are all important.
Mike
|      Michael J. Styzen                  Phone: (504) 728-4308         |
|      Shell Deepwater Development Inc.   Room:  OSS-3202               |
|      P.O. Box 60833                     Email: mstyzen@shellus.com    |
|      New Orleans LA  70160                                            |