Where did the Stegosaurus go?

I am in the midst of reading _The Dinosaur Heresies_ by Bob Bakker.
I find it to be very fascinating.  But it lead me to a question, as
the subject says, where have all the Stegosaurs gone?  I realize this
could be asked of any of the Triassic or Jurrasic dinosaurs, but I'm
going to stick to Stegosaurus for simplicities sake.  I don't see any
relatives in Cretaceous times.  Was there some big catastrophe?  And
if there was, what prompted the return of our Cretaceous friends, and
why didn't we see another rise of dinosaurs 65 mya.?

The ever curious,
Jason Pedersen