Re: Theropod "migrations"

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/25/99 12:26:25 PM EST, tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu writes:
>
> << I thought _Turanoceratops_ was just outside Ceratopsidae. If it is a
>  ceratopsid, is it a ceratopsine or a centrosaurine? >>
>
> Inside Ceratopidae but probably outside either Centrosaurinae or Ceratopinae.
> But since it had supraorbital horns, it might wind up inside Ceratopinae,
> too, after the smoke clears. Particularly if Ceratopinae is stem-based.

I thought Ceratop[s]idae was node-based, with Ceratop[s]inae
(=Chasmosaurinae) and Centrosaurinae (=Pachyrhinosaurinae) as stem-based
clades within, meaning that if it's not a ceratop[s]ine or a
centrosaurine, it's not a ceratop[s]id. I have it as a non-ceratopsid
ceratopsomorph, just above _Montanoceratops_.

--T. Mike Keesey                                    <tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu>
WORLDS                                  <http://www.gl.umbc.edu/~tkeese1>
THE DINOSAURICON                               <http://dinosaur.umbc.edu>