Re: Theropod "migrations"

----- Original Message -----
From: Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. <th81@umail.umd.edu>
To: Larry Febo <larryf@capital.net>
Cc: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Monday, April 26, 1999 8:37 AM
Subject: Re: Theropod "migrations"
>     (snip)
> Furthermore, for this particular situation (the Asian-American
connection),
> both the western part of North America and the eastern part of Asia are
> patchworks of small microcontinents accreted onto the landmasses during
the
> Mesozoic, so the original outlines are not well understood.  Additionally,
> the current coastlines do not show the geologic boundaries of plates
(parts
> of northeastern Asia are tectonically part of the North American plate).
> So, unfortunately, the region that interests us the most for our purposes
> here is one of the most complicated.

I was also wondering,(hypothetically of course), if these accreted
microcontinents might be studied for fossil content, especially anything
pre-late Jurassic in hopes of finding small theropods that might have
evolved from bird ancestors. (The idea being that they couldn`t have gotten
there any other way). Do you think this might be a possibility? Or would the
fossils have been destroyed through metamorhic processes?