Dinos on microcontinents (was Re: Theropod "migrations")

At 09:03 AM 4/26/99 -0400, Larry Febo wrote:

>I was also wondering,(hypothetically of course), if these accreted
>microcontinents might be studied for fossil content, especially anything
>pre-late Jurassic in hopes of finding small theropods that might have
>evolved from bird ancestors. (The idea being that they couldn`t have gotten
>there any other way). Do you think this might be a possibility? Or would the
>fossils have been destroyed through metamorhic processes?

To my knowledge, no one has reported terrestrial sediments or fossils from
the microcontinents which accreted onto North America (or elsewhere) in the
Mesozoic.  They might be extraordinarily interesting!!  (And it would be
more important to simply document what you find there, than look
speciifically for critters of a single particular type that conform to a
single particular hypothesis).

However, marine fossils of some of the Paleozoic microcontinents (such as
Avalonia) were central to unravelling the existance of said landmasses.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661