Re: Steggie in Cretac/ dinogeorge***!!!use

> The more realistic you make your fiction, the surer it is that someone
>will discover something that makes it obsolete between the time you approve
>final proofs and the time the books hit the stores -- or if not then,
>shortly afterwards. -- Jeff Hecht

Oh, I'm well aware. But by that logic, Jeff, all science should stop.
Scientists (and I include our best illustrators) actually work in the
hope of causing future discoveries which date their own work.

 Our illustrators have been drawing together, visually, what's been
learned during the Dinosaur Revolution; shouldn't we who write English
prose make a complementary effort? A good prose stylist can evoke
behavior more accurately even than a film artist can, we can do the touch
of things, smells, analyze psychological states and emotional
reverberations. Try Dickens on the French Revolution if you doubt me. Or
Updike describing anything.

You work; and then you're replaced. That's not scary to me anymore--
almost a relief. That is, dare I say, evolution? :>
Best,
George

George J. Leonard, Ph.D.
Professor of Interdisciplinary Humanities
San Francisco State University
530 Humanities Hall
1600 Holloway Avenue
San Francisco, California, 94132