Re: Dinos on microcontinents ( was Re: Theropod "migrations")

>Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 10:05:13 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." <th81@umail.umd.edu>
>To: larryf@capital.net
>Cc: dinosaur@usc.edu
>Subject: Dinos on microcontinents (was Re: Theropod "migrations")

>At 09:03 AM 4/26/99 -0400, Larry Febo wrote:
>>
>>I was also wondering,(hypothetically of course), if these accreted
>>microcontinents might be studied for fossil content, especially anything
>>pre-late Jurassic in hopes of finding small theropods that might have
>>evolved from bird ancestors. (The idea being that they couldn`t have
gotten
>>there any other way). Do you think this might be a possibility? Or would
the
>>fossils have been destroyed through metamorhic processes?

>To my knowledge, no one has reported terrestrial sediments or fossils from
>the microcontinents which accreted onto North America (or elsewhere) in the
>Mesozoic.  They might be extraordinarily interesting!!  (And it would be
>more important to simply document what you find there, than look
>speciifically for critters of a single particular type that conform to a
>single particular hypothesis).

It seems that India would be an ideal candidate for this type of study also,
but from what I`ve looked into already (briefly), it has hardly been studied
in depth. From the "Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs" I get  a rather short list of
theropods: Compsosuchus, Jubbulporia, Laevisuchus, Dryptosauroides,
Coeluroides and Ornithomimoides, all of which are considered as Nomen Dubium
( at  T. Michael Keesey`s site), and based on a few fragments of
vertebrae....(not much to go on). Of course there is Indosaurus
matleyi,...considered an Abelisaurid from the Maastrichtian,....now where
did that come from?  There are known Abelisaurids from S America, but how
did they get into India which was well isolated at that time?