Re: Dromeosaurid behavior........Pack hunting! (long)

"Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." <th81@umail.umd.edu> wrote:

>_Panthera leo_ is a pack hunter par excellence, but its very close
relative
>_Panthera tigris_ is a solitary or pair hunter for the most part.

Pack hunting's advantages differ depending on terrain.  For the most
part, you'll find pack hunting in open spaces where there isn't a lot
of cover.  There's strength in numbers that way.  For instance,
_Panthera leo_ drives it's it's prey into other members of the
pride/pack.  It also helps to confuse the prey animals.  However,
_Pantera tigris_ lives primarily in forested areas, perfect for
ambush.  It also has a tendency to prey on smaller animals such as
rabbits.  _Canis lupis_ on the other hand will hunt either way,
single or small packs in forested areas, and larger packs on open
ground.

As far as competion over food goes, I think it would be safe to say
that if in fact _Deinonichus antirropus_ did hunt in packs, there was
some sort of heirarchical behaviour, just as you'll find in any
family group.

Jason Pedersen