The Madagascar Ankizy Fund

To All:

Mickey and Mary have most graciously allowed us to submit this post on behalf of Scott Sampson, David Krause and Katherine Forster at Suny at Stony Brook. Primordial Soup is now offering adult white T-shirts bearing the images of Michael Skrepnick's Tylosaurus proriger and his Allosaurus/Dryosaurus image at a special cost of $12 each. There is a shipping and handling charge of $3.20, which covers up to 4 shirts. All profits will go to The Madagascar Ankizy Fund described in David Krause's outline below. Artist Michael Skrepnick has generously donated his time and talent to this project. There is a separate T-shirt designed by Michael, exclusive to this fundraising effort. It depicts in a one color, Rahonavis, Majungatholus, Mahajungasuchus, and a titanosaur (unknown genus). The shirt says, "Cretaceous Madagascar" and comes in natural (with a burgundy print) and ash (light gray with a deep blue print). If you are interested in this shirt instead, E-mail David Krause at the address listed at the end of this post.

The two designs Primordial Soup is offering can be seen at: http://www.primordialsoup.com/wholesale/page3/page3.htm  (item numbers TMS - 5 and TMS - 3).

They are available in Small, Medium, Large and X-Large. You may phone the toll free number 888-880-1988 to purchase via VISA, Mastercard or Discover. You may also send a check made payable to: Primordial Soup, LLC., PO Box 274, Elmwood Station, Syracuse NY 13207. If you have any trouble with this URL, go to http://www.primordialsoup.com/ and go to the wholesale catalog, page 3. Please do not E-mail credit card numbers.

Our deepest heartfelt thanks to Mickey and Mary for this indulgence.

                                              THE MADAGASCAR ANKINZY FUND

Along with my colleagues Catherine Forster and Scott Sampson, I led a paleontological expedition to the island od Madagascar in the summer of 1996. Madagascar lies off the coast of Africa and is the fourth largest island in the world, but one of the very poorest countries. Our work was concentrated in a fairly remote part of the island, near the small village of Berivotra. We soon noticed that the children were watching us do our field work every day of the week and wondered why they weren't in school. The reason? There was no school. There were some 60 children of all ages in Berivotra who were not receiving any education. The parents desperately wanted a school for their children; they even built a church (with cement floor, tin walls and grass roof) that could double as a school. The missing ingredient was funds to hire a teacher (salary = $250) and purchase the most basic supplies. The level of poverty in the area must be seen to be appreciated. A pencil, for instance would be a highly prized possession equivalent to something like a personal computer for one of our own children.

Anticipating a return trip in 1998 we provided funds to hire a teacher for two years and gave the school a few relevant supplies we had on hand (pencils, pens, a map, a dinosaur book, etc.). When presented with the funds to hire a teacher in a very formal meeting of the villagers in the church the parents were overjoyed and many wept openly. Upon returning to the United States we raised some additional funds for the school. One of the sources was Dogwood Elementary School in St. James, which my own children attended. The Dogwood Student Council made the Berivotra School their their annual fundraising project for one year - quite an accomplishment! In addition, several teaching supplies were donated by Dogwood Elementary.

When we did return to the Berivotra area this past summer we were delighted to see that the school was operational and that the children had begun to read and write. It became apparent however, that that owing to conflicting religious beliefs that in the community a separate school must be built; those parents who were not Christian were not letting their children attend school in the church. We provided additional funds to construct a school building, which was started immediately.

Our near term goal is to make the Berivotra School a permanent entity by raising enough money such that the interest income will provide the annual salary for a teacher, purchase school supplies and provide funds for school repairs in perpetuity. In order to do so and entertain the long term prospect of building other schools as well as clinics, we have established the Madagascar Ankizy Fund: For the Education of The Madagascar Children and Health Care of Malagasy Children ("ankizy" means "children").  Please consider a donation to the project.  You can make a donation by sending a check to the Madagascar Ankizy Fund (Stony Brook Foundation Account #284300), Stony Brook Foundation, State University of New York, Stony Brook, New York 11794-1188.  Your donation will go much further than you can possible imagine. Thank you.

David W. Krause, Professor, Department of Anatomical Sciences
Telephone: 516-444-3117, Fax: 516-444-3947,  email: dkrause@mail.som.sunysb.edu
--
Kimberly L. Heman

Director of Sales and Marketing