Re: Theropod "migrations"

At 01:12 PM 4/26/99 -0400, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:
>How many bovid species have as big a range?

Nowadays _Bos bos_ beats it :-)

But then I suppose one doesn't really want to count that!

But I find the pattern seems to hold in dinosaur faunas as well.  Even in
the Late Creataceous of North America, the individual ceratopsian species
mostly seem to be more limited in range than individual tyrannosaur
species.  Certainly there is some reason to believe that during the
Judithian faunal stage several of the species of ceratopsians were fairly
limited in distribution, while the tyrannosaurs were more cosmopolitan.