Re: Dromeosaurid behavior........Pack hunting! (long)

In a message dated 4/29/99 8:41:31 AM EST, gejd@concentric.net writes:

<< Since I don't believe that behavior of advanced predators is fixed and
 am willing to think that behavior patterns may be seasonal, occasional,
 may represent a portion of the population based on age, temporary
 sexual success, sex, prey type, or other unknown factors, I am not
 concerned with statements like "dromeosaurs were pack hunters" but with
 statements like "dromeosaurs were capable of pack hunting", which
 I think might be provable. >>

Sorry, but the only way to >prove< a behavior is to observe it in living
animals. Until you have figured out how to do this with dromaeosaurids and
tenontosaurs, all the theorizing in the world will prove nothing. And I have
no idea how you might >prove< a statement like "dromaeosaurs were >capable
of< pack hunting," even for >living< dromaeosaurs, if they weren't already
observed to be pack hunters (in which case the "proof" becomes trivial).