Re: The Last Dinosaur Book

In a message dated 4/29/99 11:44:29 AM EST, wjtm@midway.uchicago.edu writes:

<< As for my "mistake" about dinosaurs at La Brea Tarpits.  Sorry once again,
 George.  I say that the tarpits have authentic mastodons and "life-size
 robotic dinosaur models." I do not say they have dinosaur fossils.  Where's
 the mistake? >>

I see nothing on page 19 about robot dinosaurs, nor, for that matter, about
mastodons. The sentence reads, "California has no real dinosaurs to brag
about, but it displays them 'in response to public demand' at the La Brea tar
pits and Universal Studios." You are talking about >real< dinosaurs here.
(And Universal Studios doesn't have any real dinosaurs, either, as far as I
know.)

But incidentally, California >does< have its own real dinosaurs, several
fossils of which (hadrosaurians, nodosaurians) are currently in the
collections at the San Diego Museum of Natural HIstory (and I think there may
be some more at the LACM and at Berkeley). Of course, they're pretty scrappy:
nothing to brag about, except for a certain nodosaurian that is to become a
new genus in the near future. (So you should have said, "Few real dinosaurs.")

So: How about, "California has few real dinosaurs to brag about, but it
displays dinosaur robots 'in response to public demand' at the La Brea tar
pits and Universal Studios." Factually accurate with no loss of
impact--indeed, a gain of impact, since it shows the lengths to which
California goes--dinosaur >robots<, fer chrissake--to bring dinos to the
public.

The trouble with being nitpicky is that it doesn't make many friends. >Sniff<.