Re: Dromeosaurid behavior........Pack hunting! (long)

Franklin Galef wrote:

> Also, again from the point of view of simple curiosity, is not the mass
> fossilization of Coelophysis groups proof of their living in large groups?  Or
> was this simply a result of the animal being very numerous and its remains
> coming to rest in a chance communal grave over a long period of time (my,
> wasn't
> that a long and bogged down sentence)?
>
> Not to appear overly uniformitarian, but I wonder if the coelophysis
> assemblage could have been a winter den.

Now that is an intriguing possibility that I hadn't considered.  I suppose that
it would depend on climatic conditions seasonally, but it is feasible to think
that not just cold weather would promote communal denning.

--
John M. Dollan
Graduate Assistant-Residence Life

"Exploration is an obsession.  The more I discover, the more I want to know.
Unfortunately I will not be able to discover everything I want."
 --Meave Leakey

"Never be afraid to try something new.  Remember, amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic."
 --Unknown