Re: Big, bigger, biggest...

From: MKIRKALDY@aol.com wrote:

Reuters is reporting that Argentina digs have yielded five specimens of a new and very large theropod.

See:
http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/990429/b3x.html
"Dinosaur dig finds what may be biggest meat-eater"
By Robert S. Elliott

> BUENOS AIRES, April 29 (Reuters) - The bones of what could be
> the largest flesh-eating dinosaur species on record have been dug
> up in the Patagonian desert of southwestern Argentina, a leader of the
> excavation team said on Thursday.

> ``We're facing the possibility of a carnivorous dinosaur larger than
> Giganotosaurus,'' Argentine paleontologist Rodolfo Coria told Reuters
> by telephone from the Patagonian town of Plaza Huincul.
<SNIP>

Mary
mkirkaldy@aol.com

Very interesting, thank you for the link. I am wondering though. I know the debate of T.rex verses Giganotosaurus has been long and hard, and now with this discovery, a new contender has entered the ring. What of Dr. Keith Rigby's giant Tyranosaurus rex/imperator? The only documentation I have seen was in an issue of Prehistoric Times issue #30, describing a pebis of 133 cm, 15 cm longer than Giganotosaurus.

Am I just a victom of falsified material, or is T.rex still "King of the Hill"? (pending the outcome of the new material Mary supplied)

Jason Pedersen